Maybe Sailing. Now part of the Blue Flag Scheme8th December 2017
TS Maybe and Blue Clipper are now members of the Blue Flag Scheme. We have always ensured we are looking after the marine environment but now we are recognised officially as a Blue Flag vessel. Surfers Against SewagePlastic Pollution Coalition Sail Traininginternational. We will be spreading the message amongst our trainees, crew, the ports we visit and anyone else who comes to visit our ships.
Here are some plastic pollution facts that may shock you.
- Plastic pollution can now be found on every beach in the world.
- Scientists have discovered microplastics embedded deep in the Arctic Ice
- Every day approximately 8 million pieces of plastic pollution find their way into our oceans
- Over 150 palstic bottles litter each mile of UK beaches.
- 100,000 marine mammals and turtles and 1 million sea birds are killed by marine plastic pollution each year
- The UK uses a staggering 38.5 million single-use plastic bottles every day. Of which less than 60% are currently recycled.
- The USA uses 500 million single-use straws every day.