One World, Our World, Take Care of It!8th December 2017
TS Maybe and Blue Clipper are now members of the Blue Flag Scheme. We have always ensured we are looking after the marine environment but now we are recognised officially as a Blue Flag vessel. Surfers Against Sewage Plastic Pollution Coalition Sail Traininginternational. We will be spreading the message amongst our trainees, crew, the ports we visit and anyone else who comes to visit our ships.
Some shocking facts about Plastic Pollution:
- Plastic pollution can now be found on every beach in the world
- Scientists have recently discovered mircroplastics embedded deep in the Arctic ice.
- Everyday approximately 8 million pieces of plastic pollution find their way into our oceans.
- There are 5.25 trillion microplastic pieces floating in the open ocean.
- 100,000 marine mammals and turtles and 1 million sea birds are killed by marine plastic pollution annually.
- The USA uses 500 million single-use straws every day in the USA.
- By 2050 there will be more plastic in the ocean than fish if we don't act now.